‘English for Academic Purposes’ means the English you need to succeed at a university. At SSC , the ‘English Academic Language and Skills’ helps you can get better grades in your academic essays and examinations.
The English for Academic Purposes course trains you in:
- understanding written academic text
- writing academic essays
- giving academic presentations
- taking part in academic discussion.
Academic English presentation at Scotland Study Centre
These skills are necessary if you’d like to succeed in your academic career.
English for Academic Purposes: a non-traditional approach
On traditional courses, you learn within the traditional way.
For example, you’ve got probably discovered that, when writing an academic essay, you want an ‘Introduction’, a ‘Body’, and a ‘Conclusion’. But this sort of basic structure can be as useful as a doctor letting you know that you have a ‘Head’, a ‘Body’, and ‘Feet’. Put differently, it is useless.
At SSC you actually discover ways to structure essays that are academic. You learn by:
- using a much more detailed structure that teaches you what you should put in each part of your essay.
- analysing example essays to know how they are structured and just how language is used inside them.
- redrafting essays with your teacher in class.
- learning, as you analyse and essays that are redraft your teacher, an amount of basic techniques/tricks which make essay writing much easier and much more effective.
The techniques you learn from the ‘English Academic Language and Skills’ course allow you to:
- write essays
- read academic texts
- Give presentations that are academic.
A knowledge of the same structure is also useful for you when you’ve got to see academic texts as soon as you need to structure academic presentations.
English for Academic Purposes: Insights into British Academic Culture
The ‘English Academic Language and Skills’ course also provides insights into how to succeed within the British academic culture. Different countries have different ways of carrying out research that is academic. There is also different styles and rules for academic essays, presentations, and discussion.